Monday, May 4, 2009

Hickory Hill Covered Bridge Repairs Are Finally Finished






Was driven thru the bridge a few days ago, and I was surprised to be told it was open again. Seems like it was just a couple of weeks ago that I was posting those pics of the portojohn out front of the blocked bridge. But here it is!

That shaky interior picture shows a few of the lighter timbers, which I think are replacements. There's also a new little parking space on the south side of the bridge. I hope that people stop littering there. But I am sure you will agree with me that this is a good job, and if serious interior timbers were replaced, even better job! 

These covered bridges are a few of just a handful of exploitable assets here in town. People literally google map these covered bridges and then drive from one to the other, and it wouldn't take much to slow them down and get them to buy a sandwich or pizza at Mateo's and who knows, is there something else the township or its residents/businesses could market??? Don't ever forget how touristy the Amish are. People literally vacation around Lancaster just to see the Amish, and we have them here in droves. They operate small farm stands. Ideas???

Talking about crazy ideas, here's another crazy idea. Grab as much off of the side of a few roadways going thru town and convert them to bicycle/Amish buggy lanes. We'd need about six paved feet to the side of the roads, with some serious painted line to keep traffic off of them. It would demonstrate our commitment to the Amish and their safety. I mean, they probably pay taxes, right? (sarcasm here, although, as primarily farmers, I have no idea what taxes are paid--my own ignorance showing here). With the township building parking lot, people might go there, unhook their bikes, and ride thru the township, stopping to eat at Mateo's (any other restaurants in town? I don't think so) and enjoy their green, environmental workout in the country. My primary motivation for this is Amish safety. I cannot believe how dangerously people drive along 472, and I am always concerned when I see a buggy and then some idiot flying along 472 at 65 or more heading toward them, especially when it's that hilly, serpentine part of 472 by State Road. Secondary motives include exploiting tourists, increasing biking and walking as cardio workouts for overall good health around this area. Finally, I guess it sounds hopelessly liberal but I think it would encourage community and allow people to meet their township neighbors.

No comments: