Saturday, November 1, 2008

That Other Roadside Shrine on Hickory HIll Road

When I first heard about this tragedy (two boys on ATVs; they had a collision and one died and I think the other lived but was very hurt; although, truth be told, the second kid might have been killed--it was a tragic loss and pain for many families) I wondered why the parents would let them drive so recklessly. Then I saw the shrine here when it was initially built, and then I recalled how I used to feel so immune to dangers when I was a teenager. It could have happened to me on any of the first motorcycles I owned and drove like I was Evel Knievel (sp?) with no riding skills. It could have happened when I drove around with my crazy friends who would drink and drive. I felt really sorry many, many months later, by the way, long after I had become accustomed to seeing the maintained shrine through the seasons. One day, I noticed that someone (A parent, I'm certain) had tied a balloon that had on it HAPPY GRADUATION! on it, and I realized that the kid(s?) would have graduated last summer. Very sad. I hope that some kids (and some idiot drivers like you know who here) will see this well-tended shrine and think about how quickly someone can go from having fun to dead, and realize that such a tragedy can happen here in our little town. 

No comments: